Support Services encompasses records, data entry, dispatch communications, identification, investigations, evidence, social worker, school liaison, and chaplains. Field Services encompasses patrol, traffic, K-9, special operations unit, Emergency Response Unit, training, crime prevention, and crossing guards.
The Bettendorf Police Department receives 65,000 incoming calls each year through the dispatch center. Of these calls, approximately 30,000 are requests for police services. The department has an authorized strength of 51 sworn officers and employs approximately several dozen civilian employees who work together to provide safety to all residents, businesses, and visitors.
Employees of the department are active in various programs in the community to deal with the multiple contributory factors associated with crime. The following is a sample of the many programs our department provides to the community.
- Alcohol/Drug-Free Resident Program (Voluntary program of house checks during parental absences to prevent underage drinking)
- Police Explorers
- High School Resource Officer
- Middle School Resource Officer
- Neighborhood Watch Programs
- Bicycle Safety Programs
- Internships for individuals pursuing law enforcement or related degrees
- Public and group tours of the police department
- A full-time department social worker
- Bettendorf/Pleasant Valley School Safety Committee
- School Crossing Guard Program
- Citizen Police Academy
- Citizen Police Volunteer Program
The successful implantation of these programs have been the direct result of the police department working in full partnership with schools, businesses, civic groups, neighborhoods, and individual members of the community.